Hagstrom H8-II 8 String Bass
Most people invariably think of Hagstrom when talking about an 8-string bass. That’s because Hagstrom was the first brand to mass-produce an 8-string version: the H8. In the late 1960s, countless beat and hard rock icons experimented extensively and used its unique sound as the backbone for psychedelic and classic songs. The H8 not only survived this experimental era of the 1960s but quickly became a timeless instrument. With the H8-II of its RetroScape series, Hagstrom introduces an authentic re-issue of this legendary 8-string bass originally released in 1967.
In other words, its tremendously powerful and sparkling sound is back!
What makes the H8-II so special? The octave sound of the high strings is just perfect. Unlike electronic devices, this approach is not subject to tracking problems. The narrow neck, the congenial 8-string bridge (string-through-body) and its short scale greatly contribute to the perfect playability of the string pairs. Hagstrom’s proprietary “Dyna-Rail” humbuckers produce a phat sound and can be split to single-coil mode using the volume control. The famous “H-Expander” trussrod ensures perfect neck relief despite the considerably higher tension of the eight strings. It also contributes to the bass’s fabulous sustain.
The on-board sliders allow players to activate and deactivate the pickups individually. The global “Tone” and “Mute” sliders provide a host of additional sonic options. This attractive package is rounded out by the authentic double-cutaway body shape, which fits snugly in the RetroScape series’ design philosophy and will even win over die-hard vintage freaks.
- All Mahogany
- Double Cutaway - Based on Original 1967 Design
- Bolt-On Neck
- Material: Hard Canadian Maple
- Truss Rod: H-Expander™
- “C” Profile
- Radius: 15"
- Multi-Ply Binding
- Material: Resinator™
- Nut: Graph Tech™ Black Tusq XL 40 mm nut
- Fretboard: Resinator™ Fretboard
- Inlays: Hagstrom Perloid Dot Inlays
- Frets: 21 Frets
- Tuning Keys: Hagstrom Design 22:1 Tuning Pegs
- Scale Length: 30.75“ / 781 mm
- Pickups: 2 x Hagstrom DynaRail Humbucker
- Controls: 1 x Volume Control with Push/Pull Coil Split
- Kill Switch Located on Upper Bout
- 4 x Switches (left to right)
- Neck - off/on
- Bridge - off/on
- Master Tone - off/mid & high cut
- Mute - off/gain reduction & high cut
- Bridge: Hagstrom Adjustable String-Through Body
- 4 x Hagstrom 22:1 Chrome Die Cast Tuners
- 4 x Hagstrom 18:1 Chrome Die Cast Tuners
- Custom String Gauges (Complete replacement sets are available to order. Model Number: HBS-8)
G .040 / g .013 (Octave)
D .050 / d .023 (Octave)
A .065 / a .038 (Octave)
E .090 / e .052 (Octave)